Director of Lifecycle & Retention Marketing
We're building the future of advertising and are looking for the minds to help us do it.
We are looking for a proven marketing leader to work with our Retention Marketing department at Darkroom. As one of the leaders of the Email & SMS marketing vertical, your primary duty will be to develop and manage a team of Email Marketing Managers, Coordinators, and Designers who craft large-scale marketing campaigns from ideation to implementation across a wide variety of industries throughout e-commerce (think – fashion, consumer goods, food & beverage and more). Our clients are some of the fastest-growing DTC brands in the market today and look to Darkroom to provide strategic insights and campaigns that integrate all four of our disciplines. Our retention marketing team’s ultimate objective is to grow as a team and scale our client’s revenue by delivering personalized communications across multiple platforms.
This role reports to the Vice President of Retention Marketing and can be based in our Los Angeles headquarters, or remotely within the state of California or New York.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Be the senior voice of Darkroom in all program-related conversations with clients on meetings, and brainstorms, including changes to the business, strategy, product, and brand.
Translate high-level initiatives into actionable go-to-market strategies and execution plans, driving cross-channel marketing plans from kick-off to launch. You will coach your team on how to develop, lead, and execute email, push, and SMS marketing strategies for lifecycle, transactional, triggered, and promotional campaigns to increase business KPIs and user LTV.
Manage a growing team of Retention Marketers and coach/develop their skills across marketing core competencies.
Curate personalized SMS automation + campaigns that integrate seamlessly with ongoing email automation + campaigns.
Utilize data to monitor retention performance and identify areas for improvement; generate and test hypotheses to improve monthly performance.
Establish rigorous A/B tests of subject lines, content, cadence, segmentation, and timing to constantly improve results.
Create your own departmental roadmap of initiatives that deliver KPIs that align with Darkroom’s and our customer's goals.
Learn and understand each client’s unique brand voice so you can speak to their audiences in the most effective way possible.
Brainstorm customer acquisition, campaign content, and segmentations independently or alongside other team members.
Optimize existing email automation with frequent multi-variant a/b testing of subject lines, time of send content, etc.
Proof and QA your team’s campaigns to ensure a 100% error-free execution.
5+ years in CRM, email marketing, and/or SMS marketing, with a background in working with e-commerce brands.
5+ years of experience in directly managing clients/accounts.
3+ years at a Digital or Creative Marketing agency.
Departmental management experience..
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Excellent copywriting skills.
Excellent taste and aesthetic skills.
Excellent project management skills.
Highly creative and imaginative.
Adobe Photoshop experience is a plus.
Ready to take the initiative and find solutions when given little direction.
Understanding of digital marketing principles, specifically email marketing best practices.
Knowledge of Klaviyo and/or other email marketing automation (ESPs) tools like Mailchimp.
Knowledge of HTML and experience with WordPress is a plus.
Proven track record of creating, implementing, and optimizing complex email programs to meet business goals.
About Darkroom & Employee Benefits:
Darkroom is a vertically integrated digital agency pioneering the next generation of consumer-facing brands. Our team has been responsible for generating hundreds of millions of dollars in market value for some of the most innovative brands in the world. A category leader in results-driven growth marketing, Darkroom’s success is attributed to our unique partnership model, purposefully built to launch brands to market and accelerate growth across direct-to-consumer. Our model is predicated on four major disciplines — Brand & Identity, Digital Products, Creative Production, and Growth Marketing – threaded by one cohesive, interdisciplinary team.
Taking the startup mindset to the agency space, the collective expertise of our team of entrepreneurs and senior digital marketers are deeply aware of the newest trends in e-commerce, development, and digital marketing. Our learned experience has allowed us to take clients (and internal ventures) from $0 to millions in revenue in just a few months. We work with game-changing brands: Verb Energy, Everytable, VYBES, Joybird, & Maaji – to name a few.
We're building the future of advertising and are looking for the minds to help us do it. We only seek out the best—from our clients to our people. Our team is our most sacred asset, and we offer highly competitive salaries and the following perks:
- Darkweek, Unlimited Vacation Policy, and Holidays: Rebooting is one of the most important parts of growth. At Darkroom, you have access to an unlimited vacation policy, our annual “Darkweek” full office closure, and 10 holidays throughout the year to keep you recharged and sharp.
- Location, location, (or no) location: Office and work locations where the most talented people want to live. Employee hubs include Los Angeles, New York, Ukraine, and Albania (Commuter benefits in LA only). Remote work for certain jobs applicable.
- Wellness: Company-sponsored medical, dental, and vision benefits with, so you can stay as healthy as can be.
- Finances, growth, and retirement: After one year with Darkroom, we deliver a robust 401k program with company match, and a profit-sharing opportunity so we can help you save as the company grows.
- Creativity at our core: in-house Los Angeles-based studio with some of the best creatives in the business.
- Growth-oriented with endless opportunities: contribute to one of the fastest-growing advertising agencies in the United States.
- Darkroom Labs: internal idea factory with no boundaries. Come up with ideas for new tools, technology, or products
- Work on the best with the best: we are highly selective with who we work with– both clients and team members. Our business development process is characterized by finding “right-fit,” category-leading brands. We look for the people to match.