Director of Business Development
We're building the future of advertising and are looking for the minds to help us do it.
Darkroom’s first Director of Business Development is confident, conscientious, and irresistible. We are looking for a natural, seasoned leader to accelerate our growth as we continue our journey as one of the fastest-growing digital advertising agencies in the United States.
As Director of Business Development, your primary function will be to build relationships and close new business, ultimately becoming a top performer at the company.
Your knowledge of branding, digital marketing, and Darkroom's prescriptive Model (in due time) will educate and shape how new clients grow. In this position, you will use your influence and relationship-building skills to provide best-in-class service, analytical advice, and industry-leading insight. With your persistence in driving decision-making, combined with a relentless ability to uncover core business needs, you will be setting the long-term vision and strategy for how Darkroom clients will brand and market their business.
You will be working and collaborating closely with both the CEO and VP of Business Development to help drive the ship that's pioneering the future of advertising.
There is an essential set of functions and characteristics to Darkroom's first Director of Business Development:
What you'll do:
- Be a primary deal closer for the company. You will own revenue-generating major sales functions such as closing. We will give you no ceiling. Incentives fully-aligned.
- Build and scale a sales team under senior leadership.
- Find and form relationships, building a book of business with the top e-commerce companies in the world.
- Communicate and pitch Darkroom's unique value propositions, resulting in creative advertising work and business-boosting performance marketing.
- Report on sales projections, forecasts, and other pertinent sales metrics.
What you'll need to be successful:
- BA or equivalent is required.
- Proven 5+ years of work experience in advertising, e-commerce, agency or consultative sales.
- Proven 2+ years of Business Development management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written, phone, and in-person).
- Understanding of e-commerce (heavy emphasis), performance marketing, and creative advertising.
- Experience with business growth techniques including effective questioning, objection handling, competitive selling, and closing.
- Proven success managing a sales portfolio in business development, with client relationship and servicing skills and solution-based selling skills.
- Experience building and managing a sales team (preferred).
- Proactive and hands-on attitude - you're ready to hit the ground running
- Strong understanding of CRM (Hubspot).
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about complex issues and develop recommendations and action plans
- Stellar strategic planning and proposal presentation skills,
- Critical thinking, adaptability, and strategic solution planning in the face of fast-moving business challenges.
- Sense of ownership and pride in performance and its impact on company success.
- You thrive in ambiguity and love turning a messy situation into a well-functioning operation.
- Team player.
About Darkroom & Employee Benefits:
Darkroom is a vertically integrated digital agency pioneering the next generation of consumer-facing brands. Our team has been responsible for generating hundreds of millions of dollars in market value for some of the most innovative brands in the world. A category leader in results-driven growth marketing, Darkroom’s success is attributed to our unique partnership model, purposefully built to launch brands to market and accelerate growth across direct-to-consumer. Our model is predicated on four major disciplines — Brand & Identity, Digital Products, Creative Production, and Growth Marketing – threaded by one cohesive, interdisciplinary team.
Taking the startup mindset to the agency space, the collective expertise of our team of entrepreneurs and senior digital marketers are deeply aware of the newest trends in e-commerce, development, and digital marketing. Our learned experience has allowed us to take clients (and internal ventures) from $0 to millions in revenue in just a few months. We work with game-changing brands: Verb Energy, Everytable, VYBES, Joybird, & Maaji – to name a few.
We're building the future of advertising and are looking for the minds to help us do it. We only seek out the best—from our clients to our people. Our team is our most sacred asset, and we offer highly competitive salaries and the following perks:
- Darkweek, Unlimited Vacation Policy, and Holidays: Rebooting is one of the most important parts of growth. At Darkroom, you have access to an unlimited vacation policy, our annual “Darkweek” full office closure, and two weeks mandatory paid leave + holidays throughout the year to keep you recharged and sharp.
- Location, location, (or no) location: Office and work locations where the most talented people want to live. Employee hubs include Los Angeles, New York, Ukraine, and Albania (Commuter benefits in LA only). Remote work for certain jobs applicable.
- Wellness: Company-sponsored medical, dental, and vision benefits with, so you can stay as healthy as can be.
- Finances, growth, and retirement: After one year with Darkroom, we deliver a robust 401k program with company matching, and a profit-sharing opportunity so we can help you save as the company grows.
- Creativity at our core: in-house Los Angeles-based studio with some of the best creatives in the business.
- Growth-oriented with endless opportunities: contribute to one of the fastest-growing advertising agencies in the United States.
- Darkroom Labs: internal idea factory with no boundaries. Come up with ideas for new tools, technology, or products
- Work on the best with the best: we are highly selective with who we work with– both clients and team members. Our business development process is characterized by finding “right-fit,” category-leading brands. We look for the people to match.