Darkroom is a vertically integrated digital agency pioneering the next generation of consumer-facing brands. Our team has been responsible for generating hundreds of millions of dollars in market value for some of the most innovative brands in the world. A category leader in results-driven growth marketing, Darkroom’s success is attributed to our unique partnership model, purposefully built to launch brands to market and accelerate growth. Our model is predicated on four major disciplines — Brand & Identity, Digital Products, Creative Production, and Growth Marketing – threaded by one cohesive, interdisciplinary team.
Taking the startup mindset to the agency space, the collective expertise of our team of e-commerce entrepreneurs and senior digital marketers are deeply aware of the newest trends in e-commerce, development, and digital marketing. Our learned experience has allowed us to take clients (and internal ventures) from $0 to millions in revenue in just a few months. We work with game-changing brands: Verb Energy, Everytable, VYBES, Article No., ZOA Energy, Maaji – to name a few.
We're building the future of advertising and are looking for the minds to help us do it. We only seek out the best—from our clients to our people. We offer highly competitive salaries, benefits, 401k with match, and offices and work locations where the most talented people want to live. Our team is our most sacred asset.
As a multi-disciplined creative, your primary role is to act as the lead designer on projects, delivering work with brilliant creative ideas, exceptional design and craft skills, and smart strategic thinking.
We expect our Design Leads to drive the work, solving complex problems, taking responsibility for the detail, embracing feedback and constant changes on projects. They are proactive, accountable and responsive, able to adapt to any situation.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Taking direction from Creative Directors and contributing to the formation of creative strategy on projects
- Being the go-to person for turning creative strategy into functional design frameworks on projects
- Playing a pivotal role on the client team, driving the work from conception through to delivery on multiple larger clients or on multiple smaller projects simultaneously
- Making confident design decisions, ensuring you can back up your ideas to creative directors and clients
- Seeking and listening to feedback to build on ideas and push your, and other’s work further
- Demonstrating commercial awareness on projects by highlighting concerns and proposing solutions surrounding the standard of work we strive to achieve
- Supporting Creative Directors & Chief Creative Officer on larger, complex projects
- Exploring new tools and visual ways to execute ideas
- Ensuring the quality of work produced meets our standards as well as our client expectations, and show leadership qualities when the team and client need to push further
- Building and harnessing strong client relationships, growing the client relationships by looking for new opportunities
- Mentoring Junior Designers on projects
- Contributing to the recruitment and growth of our Interns and Junior Designers
- 3+ years of agency, in-house design or freelance experience required
- Strong understanding of brand strategy and identity design is required
- Excellence in typography required
- Excellence at designing a brand experience across multiple channels, including web, mobile and native applications. Experiential, physical, and voice are a plus.
- Strong understanding of user interface design is preferred
- Experience designing for a variety of industries including fashion, retail, CPG, financial, health & wellness, etc...
- Direct client interaction experience with the ability to build relationships, understand client vision/direction and present designs and concepts is required
- Adobe Creative Suite, Figma (or Sketch) should be core elements of your toolkit
- Experience using various prototyping tools (such as Invision) to help understand the problem, test concepts and communicate experiences to internal teams and clients.
- Risk-taking in design, pushing past the obvious, and making something you love
- Desire to master the craft of design
- Sense of ownership and pride in performance and its impact on company success
- You thrive in ambiguity and love turning a messy situation into a well functioning operation
- Team player who can give and receive constructive criticism
- Self-sufficient time-management skills
- Fun, fast-paced startup environment located in DTLA (with our own in-house studio) – We are currently WFH during COVID-19
- Every role makes a difference - everyone has a voice - shape your own career path and company culture
- Be a foundational member of the creative team
- International, motivated team with flat hierarchies
- Attractive opportunities for growth
Why work at Darkroom:
- Competitive salary based on experience level
- Unlimited vacation days
- Startup culture with a beautiful office (and a full in-house production studio)
- Entrepreneurial encouragement to launch companies internally with revenue share structures
- Health and commuter benefits
- Top-notch clients