Associate Creative Director
Darkroom is a vertically integrated digital agency pioneering the next generation of consumer-facing brands. Our team has been responsible for generating hundreds of millions of dollars in market value for some of the most innovative brands in the world. A category leader in results-driven growth marketing, Darkroom’s success is attributed to our unique partnership model, purposefully built to launch brands to market and accelerate growth. Our model is predicated on four major disciplines — Brand & Identity, Digital Products, Creative Production, and Growth Marketing – threaded by one cohesive, interdisciplinary team.
Taking the startup mindset to the agency space, the collective expertise of our team of e-commerce entrepreneurs and senior digital marketers are deeply aware of the newest trends in e-commerce, development, and digital marketing. Our learned experience has allowed us to take clients (and internal ventures) from $0 to millions in revenue in just a few months. We work with game-changing brands: Verb Energy, Everytable, VYBES, Article No., ZOA Energy, Maaji – to name a few.
We're building the future of advertising and are looking for the minds to help us do it. We only seek out the best—from our clients to our people. We offer highly competitive salaries, benefits, 401k with match, and offices and work locations where the most talented people want to live. Our team is our most sacred asset.
We are looking for an Associate Creative Director to join our team. As an Associate C.D. you will play a crucial role on our design team acting as a strong design lead on projects, uplifting the competency of the design team at large, and bringing a strong creative point of view to our client relationships.
We expect our Associate Creative Directors to shape each project they work on by skillfully navigating a broad range of brand and business issues and delivering consistently as the backbone of the team. They are hands-on and versatile: going deep into the work to ensure it has tangible impact, guiding and supporting others, and providing resilience in the face of ambiguity and change.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Being the go-to person for creative strategy on projects
- Transforming creative strategy into a singular, compelling creative stories and frameworks
- Becoming the backbone of design on a project, being hands-on while guiding the design team in shaping the design work from conception through to delivery
- Supporting Senior Creative Directors & Chief Creative Officer on larger, complex projects
- Owning the design work on smaller fast-paced projects
- Building, establishing and improving design processes for the benefit of the entire design team when there is a need
- Ensuring the quality of work produced meets our standards as well as our client expectations, and show leadership qualities when the team and client need to push further
- Building and harnessing strong client relationships, growing the client relationships by looking for new opportunities
- Mentoring Designers and Senior Designers on projects
- Contribute to the recruitment of Designers and Senior Designers
- Participating with, scheduling and conducting internal design seminars for the benefit of the entire creative team
- 5+ years of agency or in-house design experience required
- Strong understanding of brand strategy and identity design is required
- Excellence at designing a brand experience across multiple channels, including web, mobile and native applications. Experiential, physical, and voice are a plus.
- Strong understanding of user interface design is preferred
- Experience designing for a variety of industries including fashion, retail, CPG, financial, health& wellness, etc...
- Experience managing and giving feedback to other designers on projects preferred
- Direct client interaction experience with the ability to build relationships, understand client vision/direction and present designs and concepts is required
- Adobe Creative Suite, Figma (or Sketch) should be core elements of your toolkit
- Strong experience using various prototyping tools (such as Invision) to help understand the problem, test concepts and communicate experiences to internal teams and clients.
- Risk-taking in design, pushing past the obvious, and making something you love
- Desire to master the craft of design
- Sense of ownership and pride in performance and its impact on company success
- You thrive in ambiguity and love turning a messy situation into a well functioning operation
- Team player who can give and receive constructive criticism
- Self-sufficient time-management skills
- Fun, fast-paced startup environment located in DTLA (with our own in-house studio) – We are currently WFH during COVID-19
- Every role makes a difference - everyone has a voice - shape your own career path and company culture
- Be a foundational member of the creative team
- International, motivated team with flat hierarchies
- Attractive opportunities for growth
Why work at Darkroom:
- Competitive salary based on experience level
- Unlimited vacation days
- Startup culture with a beautiful office (and a full in-house production studio)
- Entrepreneurial encouragement to launch companies internally with revenue share structures
- Health and commuter benefits
- Top-notch clients